Nexsan SATABeastHigh Density, Expandable Storage System
- 42-drive SATA RAID system
- 82TB with 2TB drives in only 4U
- Scales up to 204TB with add-on expansion chassis
- AutoMAID® level 3 technology saves up to 60% in energy costs
- Includes both FC and iSCSI interfaces
- Combines SAS, SATA and SSD disks in the same system
- Single or dual redundant controllers
- Anti-vibration design maximizes drive reliability
- Horizontal mid-plane maximizes airflow
Nexsan's SATABeast, a member of the Flexible Storage Platform™, is a high-capacity storage system ideal for applications requiring very high capacity and storage density provided in a minimal amount of rack space. With its storage density of 84TB offered through 42 drive bays, SATABeast's small 4U footprint is targeted at primary and secondary storage applications, as well as long-term bulk and disk-to-disk backup applications where ultra-high capacity is paramount, allowing companies to maximize their investment in data center floor space.
By employing the largest capacity SATA drives, SATABeast is much more cost-efficient than storage systems using the typically more expensive SCSI, SAS and Fibre Channel drives. Because of this combination of high density and cost-effectiveness, SATABeast delivers the industry's best price/performance value in a scalable disk solution, making it the smart choice for medium-sized businesses and mid-tier deployments in large organizations.
As with all Nexsan solutions, SATABeast is built for enterprise-class applications, providing tier-1 full redundancy and high performance at tier-2 prices. It's very easy to install and use. SATABeast includes technologies that provide a combination of cost-effective high density, space efficiency and Nexsan's AutoMAID® (Massive Array of Idle Disks) level 3 energy-saving technology, which enables SATABeast to save up to 60% in energy costs.
Designed from the ground up to set new standards for high-capacity storage systems, SATABeast delivers the industry's best performance and costeffectiveness in a single, scalable solution. With unparalleled density, availability and energy efficiency, SATABeast maximizes the return on your storage hardware investment.
Unprecedented Energy Savings
Nexsan delivers the first high performance, high capacity RAID storage systems to also offer the energy saving benefits of AutoMAID® technology. AutoMAID (Massive Array of Idle Disks) allows SATABeast to place its disk drives to an idle state to conserve energy yet provide near-instantaneous access to data. AutoMAID is granular to the individual drive level and enables users to determine the level of energy savings desired.
Unleash The Beast
For All Your Storage Requirements Including:
Primary Storage. Designed for enterprise class environments where reliability is an absolute. SATABeast's high availability architecture features full redundancy across all active components. Blazing wire-speed read/write throughput and high IOPS performance make SATABeast the perfect choice for data-intensive applications.
Secondary Storage and D2D (Disk to Disk Backup). Online access to data means superior business continuity. The SATABeast provides the speed, fault tolerance and high availability to deliver superior data protection while its unmatched capacity easily handles enormous volumes of files. SATABeast enables unprecedented amounts of data to be cost-effectively stored and instantly accessed.
High Performance Across Both Fibre Channel and ISCSI
SATABeast gives users the flexibility to utilize Fibre Channel or iSCSI connectivity or both simultaneously. Flexible, scalable and completely OS independent, SATABeast offers dual function FC and iSCSI connectivity with wire-speed throughput performance.
Features & Benefits:
|42 Drive Capacity||Populate with 14 to 42 500GB/1TB/2TB SATA drives or combine with 300/450/600GB SAS drives|
|42 2TB SATA Disks in 4U for 84TB||84TB in 4U and over 20TB per U delivers exceptional density|
|E60X - 60 Bay Expansion Chassis||When using the new 8Gbit FC RAID controller with dual SASx4 expansion ports you can add an additional 60 disks to the SATABeast or SASBeast for a total of 102 disks in a single system|
|Warm-pluggable Capacity Expansion||Attach the E60X expansion chassis with minimal downtime|
|Hot-pluggable Disk Expansion||Install new disks into empty bays and create a new RAID set for added capacity without any downtime|
|Single or Dual Controllers||Use a single controller or use dual active/active RAID controllers for high availability|
|Multiple HA Access Modes||Features APPA, 4PAA, APAL (also DCNR) connection and controller failover modes with full LUN access security|
|Hardware RAID||RAID levels, including RAID6, are implemented in hardware, not software for optimized performance|
|2 RAID Engines per Controller||Two RAID engines per controller and four engines in a dual controller configuration ensures maximum throughput across all drives.|
|Fully Redundant||All active components (RAID controllers, modules, fans, power supplies and drives) are redundant and individually hot-swappable.|
|Global Disk Spare||Automatically starts rebuilding a RAID set by using a designated spare drive without requiring user intervention|
|Dual FC and iSCSI Support||Dual FC and iSCSI ports and connectivity are a standard feature for flexible system deployment|
|Supports Multiple RAID sets and LUNs||Support diverse servers and applications with multiple RAID sets and multiple volumes per RAID set for a total of 254 LUNs|
|2GB Battery Backed Cache||Increased performance with up to 2GB cache per controller with 72hr of data retention|
|Mix SATA and SSD Disk Types||Combine SATA and SSD drives in the same storage system to address diverse applications|
|Redundant Power Supplies||Two redundant power supplies with tachometer-monitored blowers are standard to provide maximum power, cooling and high availability|
|No Special Software Needed||Completely OS independent and standards based - no special software drivers required|
|Embedded GUI||Simple management using the embedded browser based web GUI over the 10/100/1000 IP port, supports email alerts and SNMP traps|
|Nexsan Storage Tools||Manage and configure multiple Nexsan RAID storage systems from a single interface|
|AutoMAID - 67% Savings||Reduced energy consumption and costs by 67% through AutoMAID® technology.|
|Horizontal Drive Plane||Disks are installed into a horizontal disk plane to promote superior airflow|
|Anti-vibration Design||Anti-accumulative rotational vibration design and technology maximizes drive reliability|
- With SATABeast, Nexsan engineers have built the industry's most complete and cost effective high capacity storage system. SATABeast's advanced mechanical design provides superior cooling for optimal thermal operation, reduces drive vibration and delivers outstanding energy efficiency in an extreme density (42 drives in 4U high) form factor. SATABeast's unique design extends individual drive life and provides TCO savings year over year.
- SATABeast's unique combination of technologies delivers unsurpassed performance, reliability and cost savings for a broad range of storage requirements. With an extreme density design that provides a compact footprint and scales to hundreds of terabytes of capacity in a single rack, SATABeast easily meets the demands of the most capacity-hungry storage environments.
- Dual controllers using Nexsan's award winning Performance SATA™ design provide blistering throughput performance with 42 spindles that can be segmented into multiple RAID sets or a single large storage pool.
- All individual SATABeast components are fully redundant and hot swappable.
- SATABeast has full cache coherency design to ensure data integrity even with power loss.
- The SATABeast's NexScan® management interface is built into the SATABeast controller, alleviating the need to have a separate server or application manage the storage array. This sophisticated management utility monitors and reports the status of all subsystems over a 10/100/1000-network port. Included in NexScan are Tele-Guard®, Nexsan's phone-home feature for user notification of errors or prediction of error.
- LUN Mapping allows users to easily configure the massive disk capacity for dozens of servers or one. Additional management software is also available to allow multiple Nexsan systems to be managed through a single interface.
AutoMAID™ Energy Saving Technology:
AutoMAID is used in scenarios where there will be periods of disk inactivity. Examples include backup to disk, long term bulk storage, scientific projects, or digital video editing—where data may be put on the back burner for weeks or months.
Nexsan's AutoMAID (Automatic Massive Array of Idle Disks) energy saving technology can be utilized on a per-disk set basis in Nexsan disk arrays. It is easy to set up and change AutoMAID power saving policies while the storage system is being used. After a specified period of inactivity, disk heads can be parked, after additional periods of inactivity disks can be placed into even lower power states by slowing rotation, stopping rotation, or powering off all drive electronics. For convenience, the GUI allows the administrator to keep AutoMAID policies from going into effect during business hours. Once the AutoMAID policies are defined, they operate with no need for manual intervention, transparent to applications and users.
- AutoMAID reduces power and cooling costs
- Nexsan’s AutoMAID delivers the benefits of MAID without the limitations
- Available on Nexsan Assureon, Boy, Beast, and E-Series
- AutoMAID automatically reduces power consumption and heat generation on idle drives
- Trade-off between response times and power savings are user configurable
- AutoMAID behavior happens automatically and transparently to host – no software changes required
- Typical configuration settings:
- Level 1: Heads Unloaded
- 15% to 20% power savings
- Level 2: Heads
Unloaded, slows to 4000 RPM
- 35% to 45% power savings
- Level 3: Stop drives from spinning
(sleep mode; powered on)
- 60% to 70% power savings
- Level 4: Power off drives
- Up to 85% power savings
- Level 1: Heads Unloaded
AutoMAID Safety Features
- In maximum power saving mode, drive spin up is sequenced to reduce power surges
- Drives automatically wake up for periodic surface scan to ensure data integrity (user configurable)
- AutoMAID has no impact on performance if left on in data-intensive server applications
|Controllers||One Standard, Dual Optional|
|Dual Optional Controllers||Active/Active fault-tolerance and increased performance with optional second controller|
|Supports E60X Expansion||Yes|
|Battery Protected Cache per Controller||1GB or 2GB|
|Host Ports||2 FC 8Gbit and 2 iSCSI 1Gbit Ports per Controller|
|Storage Expansion Ports for NXS-E60X||N/A|
|Sustained Data Rates (with Dual Controllers)||1100+ MB/s Reads|
|Hardware RAID 6||Included|
|RAID Levels||0, 1, 1+0, 4, 5, 6|
|Volumes and LUNs||256 volumes per system / 254 LUNs per port|
|Standard Dual Redundant Power Supplies||2 Redundant Standard 1100 watt 110/240 Auto-sensing|
|Dimensions and Weight|
|Height||7 inches / 17.78 cm. (4U)|
|Width||19 inches / 48.26 cm.|
|Depth||29.5 inches / 74.93 cm.|
|Maximum Installed Weight w/ mounting rails, all drives and controllers||approx - 81 Kg / 179 lbs|
|Rack Mount||Fits into a standard 19 inch rack|
|Operating Temperature Range||5ºC to 35ºC (41ºF to 95ºF)|
|Operating Humidity Range||20% to 80% non-condensing|
|Operating Altitude||0 to 2,133m (0 to 7,000ft)|
|Non-operational Altitude||0 to 12,192m (0 to 40,000ft)|
From Anywhere to Anywhere.
That's because–whether you're across town or halfway around the world–you can manage all Nexsan storage products remotely. Our management capabilities are intuitive and easy to use. They require minimal training. And all of our interfaces provide different levels of security to ensure proper authentication and prevent unwanted users from gaining access.
You can configure Nexsan E-Series, Beast and Boy products through our unique, secure and intuitive Web-based GUI tool. The interface uses standard HTML and is compatible with all mainstream browsers (Internet Explorer, Netscape, Opera, Mozilla, Firefox, Safari, etc.) that aren't hardware-, software- or Java™-runtime-specific. The embedded Web-browser GUI operates over the 10/100/1000 port, and supports e-mail alerts and SNMP traps. We also provide a standard serial port for local and direct system configuration.
In addition to the GUI, Nexsan Storage Tools – a comprehensive set of storage management software tools for Windows Server families–make it easy to manage and configure multiple units from a single GUI. Nexsan Storage Tools provide support for Windows Virtual Disk Service (VDS) and Microsoft Management Console (MMC), and include MPIO support for Nexsan RAID storage systems.
Nexsan Storage Tools:
All Nexsan disk arrays, including the SATABoy, SASBoy, SATABeast, SASBeast, and the B-Series come with Nexsan Storage Tools – a comprehensive suite of software, which was purpose-built for mid-sized organizations. Nexsan Storage Tools are available for Windows, Apple OS X, AIX and popular versions of Linux.
Nexsan Storage Tools for Windows
Storage Manager provides a single console from which multiple local and remote Nexsan storage products can be easily and securely managed and monitored. Key features include.
- Management for one or more disk arrays on the LAN or WAN
- Easy to use GUI to configure advanced disk array features
- Red-green-yellow status display of all disk arrays being monitored
- Create and expand volumes
- Use as a stand-alone application or from within Microsoft Management Console (MMC)
Nexsan Data Migration Manager makes it easy to move data onto your new Nexsan disk array or to migrate it from one RAID Disk Set to another – for load balancing, increased storage capacity or any number of other common goals.
Windows VDS Integration and Shell Extensions allow administration of Windows volumes and multiple Nexsan disk arrays directly from Windows management tools. Key features include:
- Seamless integration with Microsoft management tools including: Microsoft Storage Manager for SANs, DISKRAID and DISKPART command-line tools, Microsoft Server Manager and Computer Management, Microsoft Device Manager, Microsoft Disk Management and Windows Explorer
- Create, delete, expand and migrate volumes
- Map LUNs to Windows servers
- Supports both Fibre Channel or iSCSI
- Drill down on all of the Nexsan configuration data from within Microsoft Disk Management
IP Configuration Tool is used to configure Nexsan disk arrays. Features include:
- Automatically detects any Nexsan disk array on the local subnet
- Display status of each disk array (red-green-yellow)
- View and change IP settings
- View and change disk array details such as System name, unique ID and firmware version
Host Identification Tool displays the identifiers of local storage adapters such as Fibre Channel WWPNs and iSCSI IQNs.
MultiSan IO (MSIO) Manager and Drivers provides Multi-path I/O (MPIO) drivers and management software for Windows servers to deliver greater aggregate bandwidth and fault resilience. Features include:
- See detailed information about what paths, target disks and connections the Nexsan DSM (device specific module) has discovered
- Configure the path load balancing policy, path failover strategy and path priorities
- Monitor the health of multipathing, troubleshoot issues and view logs
- Configure alerts, email alerts and other options
- Manage MultiSan IO from a GUI or from a command line
Supports popular versions of Windows including:
- Windows XP (all 32-bit versions)
- Windows Server 2003 (all 32-bit and x64 versions)
- Windows Vista (all 32-bit and x64 versions)
- Windows Server 2008 (all 32-bit and x64 versions)
- Windows 7 (all 32-bit and x64 versions)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (all x64 versions)
See the Nexsan Support site for details
Nexsan Storage Tools for Linux provides an IP configuration tool to set up the disk array from a Linux system. Nexsan does not need to ship any specific software to enable interoperability and compatibility with Linux. Key features include:
|For OS X
Nexsan Storage Tools for OS X provide an IP configuration tool to set up the disk array from an OS X system. Nexsan does not need to ship any specific software to enable interoperability and compatibility with OS X. Key features include:
Although Nexsan disk arrays are qualified with VMware, Nexsan does not ship any specific software to enable interoperability and compatibility with VMware ESX. Key features include:
For AIX, Nexsan provides a Multi-path I/O driver. Key features include:
Boy and Beast Product Family:
|Drive Types||SAS 300GB, 450GB, 600GB - 15000 RPM||SAS 300GB, 450GB, 600GB - 15000 RPM||SAS 300GB, 450GB, 600GB 15000 RPM and SATA 1TB 7200RPM||SAS 300GB, 450GB, 600GB - 15000 RPM and SATA 2TB and 1TB||SATA 1TB, 750GB, 500GB||SATA 2TB, 1TB, 750GB, 500GB|
|Drive Bays / Rack U||14 Drive Bays / 3U||42 Drive Bays / 4U||14 Drive Bays/ 3U ( 4SAS w/10 SATA or 7SAS w/ 7SATA)||42 Drive Bays / 4U (SAS or SATA in groups of 14)||14 Drive Bays / 3U||42 Drive Bays / 4U|
|Controllers||1 Standard Dual Optional Dual RAID Engines per Controller||1 Standard Dual Optional Dual RAID Engines per Controller||1 Standard Dual Optional Dual RAID Engines per Controller||1 Standard Dual Optional Dual RAID Engines per Controller||1 Standard Dual Optional||1 Standard Dual Optional|
|Battery Protected Cache per Controller||2GB Standard||2GB Standard||2GB Standard||2GB Standard||512MB, 1GB or 2GB||512MB, 1GB or 2GB|
|Host Ports||2 FC or 2 SAS and 2 iSCSI Ports per Controller||2 FC and 2 iSCSI Ports per Controller||2 FC or 2 SAS and 2 iSCSI Ports per Controller||2 FC and 2 iSCSI Ports per Controller||2 FC or 2 SAS and 2 iSCSI Ports per Controller||2 FC and 2 iSCSI Ports per Controller|
|Sustained Data Rates (with Dual Controllers)||820 MB/s Reads||1100+ MB/s Reads||820 MB/s Reads||1100+ MB/s Reads||540 + MB/s Reads (with single controller)||1100 MB/s Reads|
|Hardware RAID 6||Included||Included||Included||Included||Included||Included|
|RAID Levels||0, 1, 1+0, 4, 5, 6||0, 1, 1+0, 4, 5, 6||0, 1, 1+0, 4, 5, 6||0, 1, 1+0, 4, 5, 6||0, 1, 1+0, 4, 5, 6||0, 1, 1+0, 4, 5, 6|
|LUNs||254 per Controller||254 per Controller||254 per Controller||254 per Controller||254 per Controller||254 per Controller|
|Redundant Power Supplies||2 Redundant Standard 500 watt||2 Redundant Standard||2 Redundant Standard||2 Redundant Standard||2 Redundant Standard 400 watt||2 Redundant Standard 760 watt|
|Global "Hot Drive Spares"|
|Hot-pluggable Controllers, Drives, Power Supplies|
|Multiple RAID sets and LUNs per RAID set|
|254 LUNs per Controller|
|LUN Masking, ACL, Read Only Access|
|Nexsan WorldView Multi-unit Manager|
|Nexsan NexScan Onboard Browser Based GUI|
|Nexsan Tele-Guard Phone Home Manager|
|3 yr. Warranty, Advanced Exchange, 24x7 Support|
Choose the Nexsan Service and Support Program that fits your organization and get the highest performance out of your Nexsan storage systems while protecting your investment. Nexsan offers Basic, Enterprise, Premium and Concierge programs above the Standard Warranty to provide a selection of service and support features for any sized organization or IT team. Contact your Nexsan sales representative or visit www.nexsan.com to learn more about which service and support options best meet your needs.
|Phone and Email Support||Nexsan Business Hours||7x24||7x24|
|Severity Level 1 / 2 / 3 (remote) Response Times||4 hrs / 6 hrs / 6 hrs Business Hours||4 hrs / 4 hrs / 8 hrs
|4 hrs / 4 hrs / 8 hrs
|Firmware and/or Software Updates
(bug fixes, minor releases)
|Firmware and/or Software Upgrades
(new features, major releases)
|Parts Deployment||Advance Parts Replacement
|Arrive with On-site Technician||Arrive with On-site Technician|
|Parts Timeframe||Ship within
1 Business Day
Next Business Day
Three Years Advance Replacement Warranty
Nexsan Technologies storage systems are warranted for three full years from the date of shipment. Upon verification of failure, replacement equipment will be shipped out to our customers. Return material authorizations will accompany all equipment shipped and can be issued either by our phone, fax, or email. (warranties are non-transferable without prior consent from Nexsan) Several levels of service upgrades are available for purchase.
Nexsan customers who prefer to perform simple hardware replacement themselves and do not need 24x7 care choose Basic support. As needed, replacement parts are advance-shipped within one business day of diagnosis of a hardware fault. Basic support includes Nexsan Technical Support by phone and email during standard Nexsan Business Hours. Software upgrades are available for an additional charge. Software/Firmware Updates are free. Nexsan E-Series, SATABoy and SATABeast RAID products include Basic Support with the Standard Warranty.
Nexsan Enterprise support offers an enhanced level of service to simplify maintenance and improve overall system availability. Enterprise support includes 24x7 phone and email support, as well as Next Business Day onsite hardware replacement for our customers who do not need the around the clock response of the Premium Support program. Under this coverage a trained field engineer will respond to your location on the next business day following diagnosis of a hardware issue.
Nexsan customers who require infrastructure operation 24x7x365 choose Premium support for fast, 24x7 response and onsite hardware replacement. Once a hardware issue is diagnosed by phone, a Nexsan Technical Engineer arrives onsite, within 4 hours, if needed. Premium support also offers enhanced response times to software support issues and an exclusive support hotline for around-the-clock access. Software/firmware updates and upgrades are included.
Onsite spares Program
This program provides customers with on-location spares for maximum convenience and protection of critical storage devices. The Onsite Spares Program enables customers have all commonly used spare parts located in their facility for rapid replacement and restoration of operations. Along with optional 24x7 phone support, customers can be assured of rapid resolution to any problem. Replaced components can be advance-shipped for constant availability.
CE, UL, CUL
Nexsan SATABeast Datasheet (.PDF)
- 1Western Digital drive based systems perform AutoMAID levels 1 & 3 only.
- Drive configurations are not limited to the choices shown. Please contact us for other options.
|128G SSD (two 64G drives) option for Beast; requires two drive slots||#SSDG-128G-I
Call for Pricing: 800-663-5523
|256G SSD (four 64G drives) option for Boy; requires four drive slots||#SSDG-256G-I
Call for Pricing: 800-663-5523